Safety case development
A robust and transparent safety case lies at the heart of license applications for disposal of radioactive wastes. A safety case needs to be comprehensive, clearly structured and should incorporate a wide range of evidence.
MCM consultants have advised waste disposal organisations on the structuring of safety cases and have been involved in developing milestone safety cases in several geological disposal programmes
MCM has extensive and in-depth experience of working with regulatory authorities to evaluate both milestone safety cases and actual license submissions for the construction of geological repositories
The Partners at MCM have been instrumental in the development of international approaches to scenario formulation and analysis.
- Developing the structure, content and presentation of a repository safety case
- Scenario development; data selection and management; geochemical modelling
- Detailed technical review and evaluation of safety cases submitted in license applications
- Assessment of regulatory compliance issues
- Development of or response to technical license conditions
- Integrating complementary indicators of safety with performance assessment results
- Accessible, web-based safety case documentation